Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Sucky Tech # 4 – CellSocket

Not sure why I’d want one of these. WHP Wireless has a device called the Cell Socket which is basically a cordless handset that you connect to your cellular phone. You can make and receive calls over your cellular line using this handset rather than on your cellular.

The company states, “No more searching your house for your cell phone ... no more missed calls”. Must be a generational thing but I am away from my cell phone when I’m in the shower or swimming. If anyone ever rolls out a waterproof smartphone I’d be interested.

The 4 cordless phones in my house on the other hand; are usually not in their cradles. My other half tends to bring it with her while yaking and leaves it wherever she stops yaking. This used to bother me except that now I don’t bother answering the home line at all. Anyone who needs to contact me, that I would actually want to talk to, will call my cellular.

It’s a big sucker compared to my HTC Diamond. Why would I rather carry around this bulky handset when my Diamond is about the size of a candy bar and fits in a pocket? And it has less features, it’s just a phone handset. It makes and receives calls. Thats all.

And it’s giving other people access to my mobile line. Why would you want to do that? I once lent my Mom my phone for a day when she had a lot of errands to run and Dad took his to work. Over the next month or so I kept getting calls from her friends asking, “Is your Mom there?” No, call her at home. This is my cell and I’m at work. There’s no take your mother to work day.

If they had a device to let me pick up calls from the land line on my cell I might be interested but hands off my cellular.

No comments: